The station from which the Jews of Thessaloniki were transported under murderous conditions to Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1943 was located right beside Baron Hirsch quarters. A commemorative plaque has been placed here. The quarters consisted of four streets: Stavrou Voutira, Iatrou Pereira, Moiseos, and Palestinis. Of these only the first retains its original name. The rest of the streets were renamed in 1943: Iatrou Pereira was renamed Axioupoleos (currently named Patriarchou Kyrillou), Moiseos was renamed Tsorlini and Palestinis was renamed Pipsou.