Baron Hirsch quarters

Baron Hirsch quarters

Build with sponsorships and community funds in 1892 to house those hit by the 1890 fire, and, specifically, the residents of the Kaldirgiuc district, which had been re-planned. After the arson attack on the Campbell Jewish quarter (1931), which was home to those who had lost their homes in the fire of 1917, many more homeless families relocated to Baron Hirsch quarters and took over the vacant plots where they built huts. The quarter was used as a transit stop in the transportation of Thessaloniki Jews for their forced displacement to Auschwitz-Birkenau from the nearby railway station.